Saturday, April 7, 2012

Open Indiana, Take2

While nas4free is being solidified  - samba crash there takes all the wind out of my excitement - I am giving another try to (Samba-free!) OpenIndiana 151a.  I have very high hopes for kernel-based CIFS support. This time a new storage adapter (IBM M1015 re-flashed to LSI9211-IT) is plugged in but not connected - the cables are still on a slow boat from China.
As before, the default install pukes on X boot.  Choosing VESA helps.  More than that, this time it just boots in native 1280x1024!  Last time I spent hours trying to achieve this.  And now it just happens with no effort on my part.  This time I also have a pair of Barracuda Greens connected.  My plan is to create a mirrored zpool and check out file transfer speeds between NAS and Windows 7 htpc. I will take another shot at enabling SMART and SpeedStep!

I create a mirrored zpool:
alex@nas:~# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool   464G  8.50G   456G         -     1%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
alex@nas:~# zpool status rpool
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          c2d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
alex@nas:~# zpool create vault mirror c2d1 c4d1
alex@nas:~# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool   464G  8.50G   456G         -     1%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
vault  1.81T    91K  1.81T     1.18E     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
alex@nas:~# zpool status vault
  pool: vault
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        vault       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2d1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4d1    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
alex@nas:~#

I try to use napp-it to create ZFS folder in vault and it fails.  I remove it.
I try again to use napp-it to create a ZFS folder (movies) - this time I use all the defaults napp-it offers.  I succeed!  I can now see moviews share on nas, but I can not go into it.  I use shell to chown alex:staff movies.  Still can not open it in Windows network neighborhood.  I am unclear how SMB accounts are mapped into OpenIndiana local accounts.  Looks like I need to make some extra steps for this mapping to happen.  So far unclear what these are.
I notice napp-it menu ZFS Folder\acl extension\user mapping issue in the shell:
alex@nas:/vault# idmap add 'wingroup:power users'  'unixgroup:staff'
add     "wingroup:power users"  unixgroup:staff
alex@nas:/vault# idmap add 'winuser:alex' 'unixuser:alex'
add     winuser:alex    unixuser:alex
alex@nas:/vault#
alex@nas:/vault# idmap list
add     "wingroup:Power Users@BUILTIN"  unixgroup:staff
add     winuser:alex    unixuser:alex
alex@nas:/vault#
Nothing.  I think I need to restart CIFS service.  How? 
svcadm restart smb
does not help.  In frustration I restarted nas.  Which made no difference.  Finally I followed these instructions, changed password for root and connect as root.  I do not appreciate being required to connect as root.  To say the least.   I start performance testing.  First copying of a 5GB DVD to NAS goes at an average rate 20MB/sec with instantaneous speeds ranging from 1 to 46.  Pathetic.  Something causes huge fluctuation of the transfer speed with the average being unsatisfactorily low.  Reading is awesome though!  It is done at an almost steady rate of 82 MB/sec.  Thus my OpenIndiana CIFS throughput data are:
File SystemRead (MB/s)Write(MB/s)
ZFS mirror on ICH78220

Bottleneck Identified

I retested again TCP throughput between HTPC and NAS.  Got the same results:
iperf -c nas -f MB reports 40MB/sec throughput.
Window size change or messing with Windows registry had no effect at all.   And then I noticed that if I do the same test from another Windows 7 PC, this one with integrated realtec NIC, the results are much better:76MB/sec with default windows size (64k) up to 96MB/sec with 256k windows size.
I conclude that PCI NICs in HTPC and NAS are limiting my transfer rates!  I ordered a new PCI-E
NIC for HTPC and will be replacing NAS motherboard with the one with integrated gigabit Ethernet and DDR3 RAM.

Smartctl

No luck with smartctl, at all.
smartctl -a -d sat /dev/rdsk/c4d
smartctl -a -d sat,12 /dev/rdsk/c4d1
smartctl -a -d sat,16 /dev/rdsk/c4d1
smartctl -a -d scsi /dev/rdsk/c4d1
smartctl -a /dev/rdsk/c4d1
I have little hope left that maybe, just maybe, it will work with LSI9211 HDs better than with those connected to ICH7.
As to SpeedStep - looking through logs I notice this:
Apr  6 23:35:09 openindiana unix: [ID 378719 kern.info] NOTICE: cpu_acpi: _PSS package evaluation failed for with status 5 for CPU 0.
Apr  6 23:35:09 openindiana unix: [ID 388705 kern.info] NOTICE: cpu_acpi: error parsing _PSS for CPU 0
Apr  6 23:35:09 openindiana unix: [ID 928200 kern.info] NOTICE: SpeedStep support is being disabled due to errors parsing ACPI P-state objects exported by BIOS.
Unlike Windows and BSDs, Solaris and derivatives do not like my hardware. Too bad.
I will wait for the SATA cables to arrive and retest with the mirror on LSI9211-IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment