Monday, March 26, 2012

Installing Solaris with Napp-it

Downloaded and burned text installer CD.  Text installation reminded me of good old slackware days.  Anyway.  On the first run the installer hung after the network settings page - I chose automatic config there.  Could it be the installer was looking for some LDAP/NIS server on my home LAN?  On the second run I chose to provide network settings manually and that helped.  I understand network layer went through substantial changes.

Reboot!  I have an ascetic login prompt.  Oh and sendmail complains it can't qualify my own domain.  Boy!  Some things never change
I type a single line to install napp-it, and after a sanity check (it confirms that Solaris 11 is supported!) off it goes to download stuff.  Lotsa stuff.  Now it loads gcc.  BTW, no progress bars.  These were so 20th century..
It worked!  I can now point my browser to nas and get to the napp-it GUI!  Also ssh works!  Set putty to use utf8 so that mc draws lines properly.
Did you notice how fast it reboots?  The fist time I thought something went wrong.  It does not go to BIOS!
Still for me to do:
  • Solaris: set up e-mail delivery 
  • Solaris: configure SSH to use public keys.
  • Solaris: play with console setup - make sure mc can draw lines, maybe adjust # of cols/lines
  • Solaris: verify that power management /speedstep works
  • Solaris: verify that HDs SMART info is accessible
  • Solaris: make rpool a mirror
  • Solaris: CIFS server - is it configured or not?
  • napp-it: verify HDs temps can be monitored

No comments:

Post a Comment